Leaving Western Sydney University Employment

Checklist for Staff Members

The Leaving Western Sydney University Employment - Staff Checklist (DOCX, 56.69 KB) (opens in a new window) provides information for staff members who are leaving the University.

If you are leaving, use the checklist to ensure that you have returned all University property and resources and provided all necessary information. This will assist the Office of Human Resources to efficiently process your final payments.

Checklist for Managers and Supervisors

The Employee Leaving Western Sydney University Employment - Supervisor's Checklist (DOCX, 44.35 KB) (opens in a new window) is for use by supervisors in managing the process when a staff member for whom they are responsible leaves Western Sydney University employment.

Managers are responsible for advising the Office of Human Resources immediately they know that a staff member will be leaving their employment. Please note that liaison may be required with HR throughout the process.

Resignation - FAQs

What period of notice should I give?

Staff intending to resign from the University are required to give a minimum period of notice, depending on their period of service, and level. Full details are available in the University Enterprise Agreements, or in an individual staff member's contract of employment.

To whom should I address my resignation?

You may address your letter of resignation to your supervisor, or contact the HR Operations (opens in a new window) team to discuss. The signed notice, including a termination date and Supervisor approval, is to be forwarded to the HR Operations (opens in a new window) team.

What will my final pay consist of?

Your final pay will include any available annual leave and/or long service leave. Western Sydney University may withhold final pay until any liability or indebtedness to the University has been discharged. Final pay will be made up in the next pay period following the date of resignation.

What do I need to do before I leave Western Sydney University?

Please consider completing the Exit Survey which is sent from MyCareer Online. Please ensure you return all equipment belonging to the University prior to your resignation date, e.g.:
  • Laptop
  • Mobile phone or any other communication equipment
  • Corporate credit cards
  • Motor vehicle and associated petrol cards
  • Keys
  • After hour access code
  • Library resources
  • Staff card

Where can I get further information?

Please contact the HR Operations (opens in a new window) team.

Retirement - FAQs

What is Retirement?

Retirement means the voluntary termination of services by a continuing or fixed term staff member with the intention of taking up available superannuation or pension entitlements.

Are you interested in the Retired Academics (and University administrators) Database?

The Retired Academics Database (known as RAD) is a scheme to help universities in the developing world tackle their recruitment problems and was officially launched at the Association of Commonwealth Universities conference in Belfast in September 2003. Piers Pennington, head of the ACU's academic recruitment unit which is running RAD, said, 'Universities in the developing world are facing real problems in terms of staff recruitment and retention. RAD can enable these universities to run vital courses whilst they seek suitable permanent staff.' RAD is a database of retired academics and university administrators from around the world that can be used by universities in the developing world to fill vacant posts on a short-term basis. We encourage you to go to the Association of Commonwealth Universities website (opens in a new window) to find out more about this program.


Information on redundancy can be found in the University Enterprise Agreements.

For further information, contact a HR Advisor or Senior HR Partner (opens in a new window) responsible for your relevant School or Division.

Termination on the Grounds of Ill Health

The Vice-Chancellor and President may require, in writing, any staff member whose capacity to perform the duties of his or her office is in doubt, to undergo a medical examination by a medical practitioner chosen by the University, at the expense of the University. The procedures that apply are outlined in the University Enterprise Agreements.

If you require further information, in the first instance you should contact your HR Advisor or HR Officer in the Office of Human Resources.

Exit Survey - FAQs

Must I complete an Exit Survey?

Participation in the exit survey is not compulsory.

Can anyone complete an Exit Survey?

You are invited to participate in exit surveys whether you are employed on a continuing/permanent, or fixed term contract.

What happens to my Exit Survey information?

  • Exit survey information is collated and analysed by the Office of People to identify trends and opportunities for improvements to the University's practices as an employer.
  • Exit survey feedback, including any notes taken in an exit interview, are treated as confidential and captured, stored and destroyed in line with the University's Privacy Policy and guidelines. Accordingly, the privacy of individuals will be protected when any information is collated for trend analysis and action.

Can I say anything I like in an exit survey?

  • Yes. Provide honest and frank feedback about your employment experiences.
  • You are welcome to communicate in writing or in interview about sensitive or serious issues. Any anonymous allegation made in an exit survey or exit interview will not be followed up by the University.

Can I talk to someone rather than fill in a Survey?

Yes. Employees leaving Western Sydney Univesity employment may request a personal, face-to-face exit interview through the Office of People who will generally conduct and record the interview, or this can also be done by the Equity and Diversity Unit.

Simply call your Senior HR Partner (opens in a new window) or the Equity and Diversity Unit.