Important Dates

All dates for results, for all terms, can be found on the Academic Year Dateline (opens in a new window) page.

Grades Withheld

If you have a 'Grade Withheld' status it is likely that you have outstanding fees and have had a hold placed on your student record.

Please follow the instructions on our Holds page for what you need to do to get your hold lifted.

Determination of Marks and Grades

Your Subject outline must set out how your marks and grades will be determined.

There may be instances when you believe that your final grade in a subject does not accurately reflect your performance against the subject criteria. If this happens and you are unable to resolve it with the Academic staff member concerned then you can apply for a formal Review of Grade by the advertised deadline for the relevant teaching session. Find out more on the Review of Grade page.

Academic Transcript

For more information on ordering a transcript documenting your results please visit the Academic transcript page.

Results and Progression

Your end of term results will be checked against the progression rules, for more information view the progression pages.


Western Sydney University uses the following grades for both undergraduate and postgraduate programs:






High Distinction



Work of outstanding quality, broadly speaking, which may be demonstrated by means of criticism, logical argument, interpretation of materials or use of methodology. This grade may also be given to recognise particular originality or creativity.




Work of superior quality demonstrating a sound grasp of content, together with efficient organisation and selectivity.




Work of good quality showing more than satisfactory achievement.




Work showing satisfactory achievement.




Student has met defined criteria at an appropriate level within a specified time.
Only used for ungraded assessments.




Unsatisfactory performance




Student has not met defined criteria at an appropriate level within a specified time.
Only used for ungraded assessments.

Practicum Fail PF  

Student has failed to satisfy criteria for practicum assessment and will not progress further in the subject (and program if the subject is compulsory). A PF grade must be approved by Head of School and submitted with supporting documentation.

Compulsory Fail CF   Student has failed a threshold assessment component(s) of the subject other than the practicum, but has achieved a total mark of 50 or more for the subject.

Withdrawn (without academic penalty)



Student provides evidence of serious illness or misadventure experienced after the relevant census date.

Fail Non Submission 



Student has not officially withdrawn from the subject and has not completed one or more of the mandatory assessment requirements for the subject, as specified in the Learning Guide.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

The Grade Point Average (GPA) is used to measure the academic performance of individual students in order to acknowledge excellence. For more information and the formula used by Western Sydney University go to the Grade Point Average (GPA) calculator page.

GPA Neutral Scheme - COVID 19

The University implemented the GPA Neutral Scheme in 2020 as part of our response to the COVID-19 pandemic to the disruption to student learning and performance.  The Scheme concluded on 31 December 2021.

Results FAQs

How and when will I receive my results?

Results are sent to your student email account and are also available in My Student Records (MySR). Results are released one to two weeks after the final exams for the term. Check the Academic Year Dateline for upcoming results release dates.

Why can’t I see my results?

If you are unable to see your final marks and grades in your results email or in MySR, it may be due to the following reason/s:

  1. A comment is noted on your results email that will explain why you have not yet received a mark and grade for a subject. Refer to this handy Knowledge Base article for a complete list of results email comments and their meaning
  2. You have an outstanding hold on your student record that requires your action. For more information on the types of holds and how to lift them, visit the Holds webpage.

If you have further questions about the above, please speak with your Subject Coordinator.

If I am not happy with my results, what can I do?

Firstly, speak with the academic responsible for your grade. If you are unable to resolve the matter, then you can apply for a Review of Grade. Please visit the Review of Grade webpage for more information on how to apply.

I have failed my subject by only a few marks, is there anything I can do?

If you have failed a subject by a small margin you may be eligible for a Supplementary assessment. Please read the Assessment Policy (Section 4 Procedures) to see if you are eligible to apply. More information is available on the Supplementary Assessments FAQ web page.

For students studying in Quarter 2 you will need to apply in writing to your Subject Coordinator within 5 days of the official results release.

Sydney City campus Session 1 and Quarter 2 students, you will need to apply in writing to your Program Convenor within 5 days of the official results release.

For students studying in Autumn or 1H students will need to complete the WesternNow Supplementary Assessment Request Form within 5 days of the official result release date to apply.

Why has my GPA dropped?

GPAs are calculated over the duration of your enrolment involving a specific calculation. This calculation uses the number of subjects, grades achieved and subject credit points. For example, if you have done poorly in a subject carrying more than 10 credit points, it will have a greater impact on your GPA than a subject of only 10 credit points. You can use the GPA calculator to check your GPA.

How is my GPA calculated?

GPA = the sum of (credit points for the same specific subject x grade points for the specific subject)/total number of credit points attempted.  You can use the GPA calculator to determine your current or future GPA. *Note: Your GPA is not included in your results email and will update overnight in MySR after the results email is sent.

Please note that The College Foundation students are unable to use the calculator as they have a different grading schema.

Please view the Graduation Policy for more GPA information.

Can I register for the next term if I have failed one (or more) subjects?

Provided you have not failed a progression rule, you will be able to register if the subject is offered in the next term. You must meet any pre-requisites and/or co-requisites needed for the subject.

If you are eligible to register, please do so through MySR. However, you should meet with your Director of Academic Program or Academic Program Advisor to discuss your program progression and seek advice regarding your studies. If you are required or choose to repeat a subject that you have already studied, the fee attached to that subject will be reapplied and you will need to pay as you normally would with any subject of study even if you paid it when you first studied that subject.

Your grades and GPA will carefully be checked against all progression rules after the results release date. If you do not meet progression rules or are 'at risk' you will receive an email to your student email account with further instructions in the days following results release. Progression emails will be sent following results release.

For more information go to the Progression webpage.

The University runs programs to develop students' academic literacy, mathematics and study skills which are listed on the Workshops webpage.

I have already registered for next term, however one of my subjects has now been dropped. What does that mean?

You have most likely failed a pre-requisite or co-requisite that is required to be completed before registration in this subject.

All the subjects I am enrolled in for the next term have been cancelled or discontinued. Why?

You may have failed a progression rule and you should monitor your student email for advice on your progression. Progression emails will be sent the week following results release. Visit the Progression Rules webpage for more information.

If you still have questions, please reach out to the Student Services Hub for assistance.

I have received a progression email. What do I do now?

You need to review and acknowledge your progress outcome(s) in My Student Records (MySR) before it is applied to your student record by following these steps. Your progression email contains detailed instructions regarding the next steps you need to take. Visit the Progression webpage for more information.

What do I need to do to complete my program?

Program progress is the term we use to refer to the requirements you need to meet to complete your program (degree) at Western Sydney University. Depending on which program you're studying, you will need to meet some or all of the following requirements:

  • A set number of credit points
  • A specific subject or subjects
  • A particular major or majors
  • A particular minor or minors
  • Special requirements
  • Professional accreditation

You can check your program progress in DegreeWorks to ensure you are on track to complete your degree. For more information on this process, refer to the How to: Check your program progress page.

Need help?

If you have any questions or need help, please contact the Student Services Hub.