- About us
- Courses and training programs
- Work Planning and Career Development
Career Development Opportunities
- - Academic Careers and Development
- - Academic Development Program
- - Academic Promotions
- - Academic Mentoring Program
- - Education Support Allowance
- - Critical Management Conversations
- - Inspire Leadership Program
- - Scholarships for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- - Staff Postgraduate Study Scholarships
- - Vice-Chancellor's Professional Development Scholarships
- - Senior Management Group Conference
- - Strategy Forum
- - Professional Staff Mentoring Program
- How-to resources
- Contact us
- Coaching @ Western
Academic promotion is a process whereby academic staff may apply for promotion to a higher academic level. There is a policy document which governs this process and provides all the details on eligibility and criteria. There is also a Guideline document which provides information to support applicants. They are:
- Academic Promotions Policy (opens in a new window)
- Academic Promotions Guideline (opens in a new window)
It is strongly recommended that applicants email the promotion coordinator with their intent to apply. This will allow dedicated support and guideance to be provided.
Applications are accepted throughout the year. NOTE: The Policy was reviewed in 2022 and a summary is provided.
It is expected that all applicants will review the Academic Promotions Policy, Guidelines and associated documents as part of their preparation.
Steps in preparing to apply for promotion:
- Email your 'intent to apply' to the Promotions Coordinator
- Request an exemption to apply early or have additional years reviewed with your application.
- Speak with your Dean/Director and Academic Supervisor
- Refer to the documents and resources located in the Supporting Resources page
- Check your Research Profile in the Research Services Portal
- Request your Research Activity Statement from the Promotions Coordinator if you don't already have it
- Utilise a mentor/champion/colleague to read your application
- Provide all your supporting documentation outside that required with your application to your Dean/Director upon submission of your application
- Queries to the Promotion Coordinator
- 1st Academic Promotions Committee Meeting - week commencing 22 May 2023
- all applications for this first meeting are due cob Monday 27 February 2023
- 2nd Academic Promotions Committee Meeting - week commencing 13 November 2023
- all applications for this second meeting will be due cob Monday 31 July 2023
Important Dates for 2023
Cut-off dates for the Academic Promotions Committee meetings and inclusion in these meeting dates are to be confirmed:
Promotion applications must be made on the Application Form and CV provided on this website. These must be submitted electronically in word format to the Promotions Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
You are strongly encouraged to read all of the supporting documentation surrounding Academic Promotions and to also refer to the resources listed on the right hand side of this page under the "Supporting Resources" tab as you complete the required forms.
Membership of the Promotion Committees for 2023
Per the Promotion Procedures, applicants must not contact a member of a Promotions Committee to discuss their application, except to receive official feedback from the Chair or nominee after results have been notified. You will be advised as to who to contact for feedback in your official outcome letter.
Promotion Committee Composition for Round 1 2023 (PDF, 82.08 KB) (opens in a new window).
Where can I get further information?
Contact Promotions Co-ordinator, Office of People and Success.
Forms and Associated Documents:
Academic Promotion Application Form (DOCX, 45.46 KB) (opens in a new window)
Academic Promotion Application CV (DOCX, 41.88 KB) (opens in a new window)
Application Promotions Guideline PDF, 386.21 KB (opens in a new window)
Position Classification Standards (opens in a new window) - extract from the Academic Staff Agreement 2022
Academic Promotion Exemption Request Form (opens in a new window)