Week 24: Graduation
Monday, 25 August 2014
Graduation is the culmination of years of hard work. Before graduation, candidates are referred to as graduands. The Graduation Ceremony usually includes a procession of the academic staff and candidates. The faculty usually wear academic dress at the formal ceremonies, as do the trustees and degree candidates. After degree completion, graduates can be referred to by their graduating year.
The University of Western Sydney has seen huge changes in the types of graduations with the 1990s marked by agriculture, education, humanities and performing arts degrees. Recently there has been a marked shift towards scientific degrees such as medicine and forensic science.
From the archives
From the Archives this week we have:
- In the above image gallery, Michelle Pettigrove (Graduate of 1988) with John Simpson (graduate of 1987) at talk given in September 1992 (P2310)
- Graduation Ceremony - Bachelor of Arts (Theatre) [University of Western Sydney - Nepean (UWSN)] 1992. Left to right: Steven Rodgers, Catherine O'Brien and Andrew Marshall, front kneeling David Collins (David is well known half of performers known as the 'Umbilical Brothers') (P2378)
- UWS Nepean - BA Visual Arts Graduation Exhibition 1993 (D95/0008) (PDF, 8115.48 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Graduation Ceremony - Booklet - Programme & recipients - UWS Hawkesbury Founders' Day Centenary Graduation - 16 Mar 1991 (D10/506996) (PDF, 475.85 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Nepean Alumni Magazine - Autumn 1989 contains updates on graduates such as Michelle Pettigrove, David Wenham and Darren Yap (AI-837) (PDF, 1218.24 KB) (opens in a new window)
Did you know?
David Wenham, Joel Edgerton, Darren Yap and Michelle Pettigrove are all graduates