Lost files and folders in Windows
This works in Windows 7, Vista and XP
If you have lost or accidentally deleted a file or folder there may be a solution within our Desktop Environment. You can try the following:
- Open the folder it was located in
- Right mouse click in a blank area, inside the folder
- Choose Properties from the list
- Select the Previous Versions tab
- Locate the latest date you think the lost file may have still been in the folder
- Select the date and click View and the folder will open in its original state. If you choose Restore it will override your current folder. If you choose copy you will copy the whole folder without seeing what it contains.
- If you cannot see the file, close the folder and choose another date.
- If you can see your missing file or folder, copy and paste it somewhere else (like the desktop)
- Close the window.