Work Health and Safety tips and tricks
Reducing Eye Fatigue
Here is a simple exercise to reduce eye fatigue (and possibly muscle strain) you tend to get while looking at a screen for long periods of time.
- Look away from the computer screen every 30-45 minutes
- Focus on the furthest object you can see (like a tree or a car or a sign etc)
- When your eyes have adjusted (approx 3-5 seconds), focus on another object that is halfway between the previous object and yourself
- When your eyes have adjusted to that object, look at a close object for a few seconds
- Repeat the sequence and focus at each point long enough for your eyes to become comfortable
- You can do this routine while you are on the phone, waiting for Windows to load a program, or even waiting for a file to print.
For more information visit the University's Work Health and Safety site.