Second monitor set-up in Windows XP
To Insert a Second Monitor
- Insert the Monitor into the second monitor port in the computer (note that depending on the computer's age and type, you may need an adaptor or even a new video card)
- Open the Display Properties by either right clicking the Desktop and choosing Properties OR from the Start menu, choosing Control Panel (in some views you may need to go to Settings first) and then double click the Display icon
- Open the Settings tab
- Select the monitor icon One (or select from the Display drop down list)
- Make sure the Use this device as the primary monitor check box is selected
- Select the monitor icon Two (or select from the Display drop down list)
- Make sure the Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor check box settings is selected.
PowerPoint Second Display
You can use this setup to run a slide show on the full screen of a secondary monitor while you view the presentation in normal view on the primary monitor. When using a laptop and data projector, this means the laptop (primary) has the normal view, including notes, and the screen (secondary) has the slide show running.
To setup this display in PowerPoint:
- from the Slide Show menu, choose Set Up Show
- in the Multiple Monitors area, in the Display slide show on: list, click the monitor you want the slide show to appear on.
Note: The computer second screen settings and PowerPoint settings may need to be reversed when finished.