Second monitor set-up in Windows Vista
Using two monitors
When using two monitors, you can move “windows” between screens. Your number One monitor acts like a normal screen. If you want to use the second monitor you need to drag the window to the next screen. Note the following:
- If you move a program/window, like Excel, and drag it to the second screen, it will automatically open in the second screen next time you open it
- Each monitor has its own resolution/display/size settings
- The window you want to move cannot be maximised.
To insert a second monitor
- Insert the monitor into the second monitor port in the computer (note that depending on the computer's age and type, you may need an adaptor or even a new video card)
- Right mouse click the Desktop and choose Personalise
- Open the Display Settings link.
- Select the monitor icon One (this is your main monitor)
- Make sure the This is my main monitor check box is selected
- Select the monitor icon Two (this is your secondary monitor)
- Make sure the Extend the desktop onto this monitor check box is selected
- Click OK to set the changes
Related Topics (available on the ODU How to webpage)