Associate Professor Mike Armour
Associate Professor, NICM
Dr Armour joined NICM in 2016 as a postdoctoral research fellow working in the area of women's health. His background is a mixture of western and eastern medicine, having completed an honours degree in Biomedicine before training as a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner.
In 2016, under the supervision of Professor Caroline Smith, Professor Hannah Dahlen, Dr Xiaoshu Zhu and Professor Cindy Faruqhar, Dr Armour completed his PhD examining the effect of acupuncture on the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea at NICM.
He started his research career in 2001, as a summer scholar working on cardiovascular biophysics at the Faculty of Medicine in Auckland, New Zealand. While studying acupuncture Dr Armour then worked as a research assistant serving the largest district health board population in the New Zealand at the Waitemata District Health Board, being involved in a range of health related research, with a specific focus on complementary and integrative medicine. He tutored at the Faculty of Medicine for several years, and more recently at the NZ School of Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine from 2010-2016, specialising in research methodology. Dr Armour also ran a busy clinical practice at The Body Workshop, specialising in women's health.
His research areas include menstruation, endometriosis, dysmenorrhea, and traditional Chinese medicine. He is experienced in implementing research projects across international borders and has a specific interest in dysmenorrhea, endometriosis and chronic pelvic pain.
- Research methodology
- Women's health
- Traditional Chinese medicine
Qualifications and Recognition
- 2016 Doctor of Philosophy (Women's Health), Western Sydney University
- 2015 Best oral presentation, ICCMR
- 2015 Best poster, International Scientific Acupuncture and Meridian Symposium (iSAMS)
- 2015 JACKA writing scholarship
- 2009 Bachelor of Health Science (Acupuncture)
- 2003 Bachelor of Science (Biomedicine Honours), University of Auckland
Research and Publications
- For a complete list of my publications please see my publications page (opens in a new window)
- View my ResearchGate profile (opens in a new window)
|Telephone||+61 2 4620 3345|
|Location||Building 5, Campbelltown Campus|