Historic Gough Whitlam speech commemorated with special celebration
On 13 November 1972 the towering figure of Gough Whitlam took the stage at Blacktown's Bowman Hall. The hall was packed to overflowing. That night proved to be one of the most significant in Australian political history, and Gough Whitlam delivered the speech that changed a nation.
"The decision we will make for our country on 2 December is a choice between the past and the future, between the habits and fears of the past, and the demands and opportunities of the future. There are moments in history when the whole fate and future of nations can be decided by a single decision. For Australia, this is such a time."
Gough Whitlam, 13 November 1972
The Whitlam Institute within the University of Western Sydney booked the Bowman Hall on 13 November 2012 to celebrate and commemorate the 40th Anniversary of this great speech.
Special guests and performers include:
- The Hon Bob Hawke AC, former Prime Minister
- Lead singer of The Whitlams, musician Tim Freedman
- Senator The Hon John Faulkner, Chair of the Whitlam Institute Board
- Speechwriter, political confidante and author Graham Freudenberg AM
- Australian pop icon and member of the Whitlam Institute Board Patricia Amphlett OAM (Little Pattie) with the Campbelltown Performing Arts High School Choir
UWS News Centre's 'It's time' 40th Anniversary photo gallery
Selected media coverage
- The Australian editorial 15 November 2012: It's time for substance not spin
- The Global Mail 14 November 2012: Framing History: Gough's Time
- Sky News 14 November 2012: Hundreds mark Whitlam's 1972 poll speech (opens in a new window)
- ABC Radio 'AM' 14 November 2012: Celebration for the the 40th anniversary of Whitlam's 'It's Time' speech (opens in a new window)
- Sydney Morning Herald 14 November 2012: Power of the speech holds true (opens in new window)
- The Australian 14 November 2012: Politicians need 'vision, not slogans', says John Faulkner
- ABC News 24 Breakfast interview 13 November 2012: Little Pattie recalls Whitlam's 'It's Time campaign' (opens in a new window)
- Parramatta Sun 13 November 2012: It's time to get back to Blacktown (includes video interview with Eric Sidoti)
- The Age 12 November: Timely campaign signalled start of Whitlam's cultural sea change (opens in a new window) (Opinion piece by Patricia Amphlett, Whitlam Institute Board Member)
22 November 2012
Photo: Sally Tsoutas