Obtain a student visa

Before you come to study in Australia, you must obtain a student visa from the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA). (opens in a new window)

Student visas can only be granted for courses that are registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions for Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).(opens in a new window)

You may not require a student visa to study in Australia if you hold another visa (other temporary visas) that allows you to enter and stay in Australia with no restrictions on study.

Information about how to apply for a student visa and options available can be found on DOHA's student visa pages.(opens in a new window)

Simplified Student Visa Framework

On 16 June 2015 the Australian Government released the Future directions for streamlined visa processing report and announced the introduction of a simplified student visa framework (SSVF) to support Australia's education services sector.

Under the SSVF, all registered education providers have been allocated an immigration risk rating based on the immigration risk outcomes of their international students over a 12 month period. The same approach has also been used to allocate an immigration risk rating to each country/region. The single immigration risk framework will be used to guide the evidence of financial capacity and English language proficiency that a student is required to provide with their visa application. It will be based on two factors – the immigration risk outcomes associated with the student's education provider and country/region of citizenship.

To see the documentary requirements please download the document A Simplified Student Visa Framework – Documentary Requirements [PDF, 83.53 KB]. (opens in a new window)

Genuine student and genuine temporary student requirement and access to funds

To be eligible for streamlined visa processing and to apply to Western Sydney University you must be a genuine student and fulfil the genuine temporary entrant requirement (opens in a new window) and have sufficient funds (opens in a new window) to:

The Student Visa Application Process

Students often apply for a student visa with the assistance from one of our agent representatives.

On receipt of your Acceptance to Study at Western Sydney University and fee payment, the University will create an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) which is recorded with DIBP for student visa application purposes. A copy of the eCoE will be sent to you or your agent to include with your Australian student visa application.

If you hold a current student visa, Western Sydney University  will send you your eCoE upon receipt of your course acceptance. You must apply for a new student visa prior to the expiry of your current visa.

Bringing family

If you wish to bring children and/or your spouse (dependents) for the duration of your study in Australia, please refer to information on bringing family on DOHA's website. (opens in a new window)

You will also need to consider financial requirements to cover any family members travelling with you:

Visa conditions

If you are in Australia on a student visa, you must maintain satisfactory academic progress at all times. The University is obliged to advise Department of Home Affairs when an International Student Visa holder is not maintaining satisfactory academic progress. This may result in an automatic visa cancellation.

Please also be aware of consequences if you no longer have access to sufficient funds to cover your study in Australia.

If you experience any difficulties during your studies, please get in contact with your International Student Advisor who can direct you to the relevant support service.

Student visas automatically grant students permission to do paid work while studying (up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks).

Further information about student visa conditions for you and any family members travelling with you can be found on DOHA's visa conditions page. (opens in a new window)

Further reading