- Future Now | Securing Digital Success 2018-2020
- IT maintenance planned outages
- IT Service Desk
- Email and Related Services
- Western WiFi Wireless Network
- IT Contracts
- Computer Laboratories
- Australian Access Federation
- IT Finance and Procurement
- Service Improvements
- Staff Software Benefits
- Cyber Security
- COVID-19: ITDS Advice, Guides and Support
- Getting Connected: Off Campus
- Multi-Factor Authentication
- Return to Campus: Ready, Tech, Go
Welcome to PrintSmart!
Swipe. Print. Collect. Log Off.
It is that easy.
ITDS has partnered with Strategy, Business Development, and Procurement (SBDP) services to develop a new print solution for the University, called PrintSmart.
What is PrintSmart
Print Smart changes the way staff and students print. Regardless of where you are, you can print to any printer by simply swiping your card. The net result of this is we can consolidate printers and further improve the user experience. This is commonly known as 'Follow Me Print'.
The new print solution aspires to provide an enhanced user experience sustainable for both the University and which helps to minimise the impact on the environment. As a result, the rollout of the new print fleet will be deployed across our campus network for both staff and students until the end of this year.
How does it work
To use PrintSmart for the first time, you must take two steps. They are:
- Connect your computer to the network; and
- Register/enrol your Staff/Student ID card on any printer (only once).
Once you have completed the above (see the guides on the buttons to the right,) by just swiping your card and selecting 'jobs' you will be able to see your own queue of print jobs where you can release your work. You will have 24 hours to collect your work.
How is PrintSmart being rolled out
ITDS will be deploying PrintSmart's proof of concept (POC) shortly at the Hawkesbury campus in a few buildings, with campus-wide deployment in the second half of the year. We are actively engaging with staff affected by the POC, and as PrintSmart continues, we will be in touch with affected areas before deployment occurs.
We will use this site to update you with information, guides, and further help. You can also contact the ITDS Service Desk for further help.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) that we have received so far to help staff and students with any questions they may have. Alternatively, you can always contact our Service Desk for further help.
We will continue to develop these as we progress with the deployment of PrintSmart.
What is Follow Me Print?
Follow Me Print (we have called it PrintSmart) allows users to print to a shared print queue, roam and print their work from any printer, anywhere with a 24 hour period. This ensures printing is confidential to the user and reduces printed waste from documents left uncollected at the printer. As you have registered your card, using a specific Fuji Zerox device, you can print anywhere at any of our campuses.
What are the benefits of PrintSmart?
There are many benefits to both staff and students, as well as the University as a whole. Some of the benefits include:
- Improving the print service for our customers in line with organisational norms.
- Consolidating the print fleet to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Bolstering our environmental credentials through more energy-efficient printers and printing.
- Changing user behaviours as a result of follow me print, hopefully reducing the number of pages printed.
- Enhancing the security of our print service.
Is PrintSmart for both Students and Staff?
Yes, this is for both students and staff. Staff will have their printers in the same area where their older printer resided and the same applies to students.
How do I enrol my Western staff/student card and link my computer/device?
Please the guides above, located on the buttons.