The Vice-Chancellor’s Gender Equity Fund offers Academic and Professional staff the opportunity to apply for support in facilitating gender equality initiatives and promoting workplace inclusion at Western Sydney University. Primarily, the Fund seeks to:
- develop a deeper understanding of any obstacles, and the steps required, to tackle gender inequality within the University and its community;
- foster collaboration and knowledge exchange between stakeholders within the University and its community in collective efforts to promote gender equality; and
- advance practice-based outcomes within the University by creating a praxis between academe and professional perspectives to leverage ‘real-world’ improvements.
This funding is for projects that would not normally be funded by Schools and Divisions.
Any enquiries regarding the Fund can be emailed to email@example.com.
2022 Applications Now Closed
Submitted applications for 2022 funding are currently being reviewed.
2021 Final Projects
- Addressing Intersectionality in Gender ‘Equity’ at WSU: Experiences, policies, and everyday practice - Prof Kerry Robinson, Dr Emily Wolfinger, Assoc Prof Lucy Nichola, Assoc Prof Corrinne Sullivan
- Equity, policy and practice: disruptions to candidature and barriers to career progression for women HDR candidates - Professor Caroline Smith, Dr Cris Townley, Assoc Professor Kate Huppatz and Dr Peter Bansel
- Precarity, pandemic and gender: how did casual academic women experience teaching at the time of COVID-19 in 2020 - Dr Erika K. Smith
- Western Parents & Carers: Constructing a culture that celebrates care - Dr Michelle O’Shea, Dr Sarah Duffy, Dr Jennifer Cheng and Dr Dorothea Bowyer
- EPIC-Collaboration: Executive and Peer Intervention for Career Development – Piloting a combined peer and executive mentor support program for level A, B and C women (5 Year longitudinal study) - Assoc. Prof Freya MacMillan, Dr Kate McBride, Assoc. Prof Emma George, Assoc. Prof Genevieve Steiner, Dr Chloe Taylor, Dr Diana Karamacoska, Najwa-Joelle Metri, Leone Cripps
- International student and newly arrived academic staff parents negotiating migration, parenthood, study, and work in Australia - Dr Sharlotte Tusasiirwe
2020 Final Projects
2019 Final Projects
- Redressing the Promotion Gap: Practices and programs to minimise gender disparities in academic advancement to Level E ( PDF, 435.26 KB) (opens in a new window) - Assoc Professor Kate Huppatz, Assoc Professor Nida Denson, Dr Peter Bansel and Cris Townley
- Nurturing Leadership from the Bottom Up: Supporting Leadership and Career Aspirations of Sessional Staff (PDF, 545.26 KB) (opens in a new window) - Professor Tonia Gray, Assoc Professor Jane Mears, Ashwini Kanitkar and Joelle Breault-Hood
- Mountains, Molehills and Milestones: participant experiences of WSU Mentoring Programs (PDF, 549.26 KB) (opens in a new window) - Dr Michelle Cull, Dr Kristy Coxon and Dr Manisha Dayal
- Women Doing Well (PDF, 121.81 KB) (opens in a new window) - Helen Barcham, Office of Vice-Chancellor and President
- Returning to Work after Parental Leave (PDF, 355.38 KB) (opens in a new window) - Collaborative project by the Engaged Parents Network
- Western Dads (PDF, 968.61 KB) (opens in a new window) - Dr Sarah Duffy, Dr Aila Khan, Dr Patrick Van Esch and Assoc Professor Meg Smith
- Negotiating Mothering and Academic Work: A Mixed Methods Intersectional Feminist Study (PDF, 1156.17 KB) (opens in a new window) - Dr Emilee Gilbert
- Why Western Women are Choosing STEM...or not (PDF, 164.99 KB) (opens in a new window) - Professor Kathryn Holmes, School of Education
2018 Final Projects
- Listening to and Incorporating the Voices of Women at WSU: Building a welcoming, supportive, and sustainable workplace for traditionally marginalised groups, focusing on casual staff - Assoc. Professor Jane Mears, School of Social Sciences
- Exploring ways to elevate women's leadership voices in Higher Education to achieve career longevity and gender parity (PDF, 7598.29 KB) (opens in a new window) - Assoc. Professor Tonia Gray, School of Education
- Gender Unlimited Seminar Series (PDF, 13068.38 KB) (opens in a new window) - Professor Janice Aldrich-Wright and Dr Kieryn McKay, Office of the DVC (Academic)
- Strategies and Barriers to Best Practice: A review of executive leadership succession planning in the Higher Education Sector and implications for Gender Equality at WSU (PDF, 344.11 KB) (opens in a new window) - Dr Sheree Gregory, School of Business
2017 Final Projects
2017 was the inaugural year for applications under the Gender Equality Fund. Below you can view the final reports from successful applicants. Findings within these reports are reviewed by the Vice-Chancellor's Gender Equality Committee, and recommendations are reviewed and acted upon as appropriate.
For more information about Gender Equality Initiatives at Western Sydney University visit our Gender Equality webpage.
For more information about the Vice-Chancellor's Gender Equality Fund contact Michelle Falconer, Senior Manager, Office of Equity & Diversity.