How to: Register

This page describes how to complete your enrolment in My Student Records (MySR) (opens in a new window).

Before you start

If you haven't already done so, activate your WesternAccount and plan what you are going to enrol in. See How do I enrol for details.

Using My Student Records (MySR)

  1. Open My Student Records (MySR) (opens in a new window)
  2. Login with your student ID and password.
  3. On the home page, select 'Enrol'.
  4. If you are a new student, select the course you are enrolling in.
  5. Complete the relevant enrolment steps.
  • New student?
    Complete all four steps in the order they appear, starting with 'Confirm Personal details'. As you complete each step, it is marked as 'Completed' and the next step is unlocked and shown as 'Begin'.
  • Existing student re-enrolling?
    Complete Specialisations and Units and update your details in the other steps if required.

Confirm Personal details

In this step, confirm or change your name, address and next-of-kin details.

  • Your given name and surname must be the same as it appears on official documentation
  • If you have another name for everyday usage, you can enter it as your Preferred name. (Do not enter a nickname here.)
  • You must provide an emergency contact, next of kin information and a mobile phone number.

Surveys and requirements

In this step, complete the questionnaires required by the University and Australian Government. If your course has special requirements such as the Working With Children Check, they will also be included here.

Western Sydney Commencing Student Survey

Includes brief questions about your background.

Government Statistics Survey

The University is required to provide this information to the Australian Government. If any of the pre-filled information is incorrect, you need to update it. If you need to change your citizenship details, visit a Student Central location with your original citizenship papers (or certified copies).

Student Declaration

Read this and select 'I Agree' to indicate that you understand your responsibilities as a student at Western Sydney University.

Government Forms

In this step, complete the Government forms relating to your university fees and public transport.

Opal Travel Concession

Use this form to give the university permission to share your details with Transport for NSW. If you are eligible, this will allow you to receive reduced fares on the Sydney transport network. This is not an Opal application form. Wait two days after completing your enrolment, then apply for your Opal concession card.

Commonwealth Assistance Form (CAF)

You need to complete the CAF form if you are an Australian citizen or Permanent resident – except if you are a Non-Award student, or Postgraduate research student with a Research Training Program (RTP) place.

Permanent residents

Complete the form selecting the full up-front payment option.

Australian citizens

You have the option to apply for a loan from the Australian Government to pay your tuition fees. This is called 'HECS-HELP' for undergraduate courses and 'FEE HELP' for most postgraduate courses.

If selecting the loan option, you must enter your Tax File Number (TFN). If you do not have one, you can still submit the form, and tick the Obtain a HECS-HELP Loan. However, you must later go back into My Student Records (MySR) and enter your TFN before the census date. If you do not, and then don't pay your fees upfront, your enrolment may be cancelled.

A Tax File Number is available from the Australian Taxation Office.(opens in a new window)

Changing details on the CAF form

If you submit the form and then want to make a change, you'll need to wait till the next day. You can still continue with the rest of your enrolment on the same day.

SA HELP form

This form is for your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).

You have a choice whether you want to defer the fee (pay it later) or skip the form and pay the fee upfront.

Note that if deferring the fee you must include your Tax File Number, even if you included if on the CAF form.

Specialisations and units

In this step, indicate what you will be studying next semester / year.

You can enrol in either the full year or just the upcoming semester.

Decide what units you will enrol in

Start by deciding which units you will enrol in. You do this outside of MySR.

New students: Go to Step 4 of the Enrolment Guide in MyWestern (opens in a new window) for a simple, automated process to select your first year, first semester units.

Existing students re-enrolling: Consult the Handbook (opens in a new window) to select your units.

If relevant, select a specialisation

If Specialisations are available for your course, they will be listed in MySR. To enrol in a specialisation:

  • Click the 'Add' button to view the available specialisations
  • Select the checkbox next to the specialisation
  • Scroll down and select the 'Confirm' button. This returns you to the previous page.
  • Scroll down and select the complete/ confirm button.

Select your units

This works like online shopping – you locate the units you want, add them to your shopping cart and confirm the order to 'purchase' them.

The core compulsory units for some courses will already be listed.

For each unit you are enrolling in:

  • Enter the unit code into the 'Unit Code' field and select 'Get Units'.
  • Select the relevant session (Autumn or Spring) and your home campus (as shown in 'Confirm your details' – the first step in My Student Records) and add it to your cart.
  • Review your shopping cart. If you see a 'Breach' button, select it for more information. Common reasons for a breach include: a) the  unit is not on your home campus, in which case you will need to apply for a rule waiver if you wish to enrol in it. b) You may need to complete a specific unit (pre-requisite) or enrol in another specific unit at the same time (co-requisite). c) You may not have met the special requirements, such as Working with Children Check or a First Aid Certificate.
  • Select 'Proceed to Check Out' and then 'Confirm'