Student Consultation

The University is guided by legislation in relation to student consultation.  There are clear guidelines on how each institution (where they collect SSAF fees) must consult with students.​

It's important that we continue to receive your feedback on services and amenities you want and the SSAF priorities already identified. You can provide feedback via email to or you can approach your SRC representative to discuss an idea or to suggest a service or amenity you think the University needs, or needs to improve.

Do students have a say in how fee revenue is spent?

Yes. Under the Student Services, Amenities, Representation and Advocacy Guidelines (Representation Guidelines), universities are required to have a formal process of consultation with democratically elected student representatives and representatives from major student organisations at the university regarding the specific uses of proceeds from any compulsory student services and amenities fee.​

These consultations must include:​

  • publishing identified priorities for proposed fee expenditure and allowing opportunities to comment on those priorities by students and student associations and organisations; and​
  • meeting with democratically elected student representatives and representatives from major student organisations at the university to consider the priorities for use of fee revenue.​

How does WSU address the consultation requirements

Working with students, Western has co-created the SSAF Governance Framework.  This framework sets out the agreed Terms of Reference for the SSAF Advisory Group, agreed principles for consultation, allocation of funds and evaluation of programs funded by SSAF.

How can I have my say?

Each year the University opens a funding proposal window to allow students an opportunity to submit suggestions for future years.  Please refer to the FAQ page for more details

What are the allowable uses of SSAF?

The fee income will be spent according to the legislation and the Student Services, Amenities, Representation and Advocacy Guidelines.​

Legislation states the following allowable uses of the fee:​

  • providing food or drink to students on a campus of the higher education provider​
  • supporting a sporting or other recreational activity by students​
  • supporting the administration of a club most of whose members are students​
  • caring for children of students​
  • providing legal services to students​
  • promoting the health or welfare of students​
  • helping students secure accommodation​
  • helping students obtain employment or advice on careers​
  • helping students with their financial affairs​
  • helping students obtain insurance against personal accidents​
  • supporting debating by students​
  • providing libraries and reading rooms (other than those provided for academic purposes) for students​
  • supporting an artistic activity by students​
  • supporting the production and dissemination to students of media whose content is provided by students​
  • helping students develop skills for study, by means other than undertaking programs of study in which they are enrolled​
  • advising on matters arising under the higher education provider's rules (however described)​
  • advocating students' interests in matters arising under the higher education provider's rules (however described)​
  • giving students information to help them in their orientation​
  • helping meet the specific needs of overseas students relating to their welfare, accommodation and employment.