I don't have my HSC. Can I get into university?

Yes, there are a number of alternative pathway options available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who have not completed the HSC, or received the required ATAR mark for entry into their course of choice.

The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alternative Entry Program

The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alternative Entry Program is a Western Sydney University equity initiative aimed at increasing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples' participation within undergraduate programs across all areas of study at the University. You do not need to have a HSC or other qualification to apply to study at the University through the Program, as different qualifications and considerations, such as work or life experiences are taken into account.

For more information, visit the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alternative Entry Program (opens in a new window) page.

Are there any scholarships for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students?

There are various different types of scholarships available for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students. Undergraduate university scholarships are funded by Western Sydney University, the Commonwealth Government, and other sources including community organisations, businesses, disability organisations or church groups (Donor Groups).

For more information, visit the Scholarships page.

Where can I get confirmation of my Aboriginality from?

As an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person, the University requires you to submit documentation both declaring and confirming your Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Identity.WSU requires the following documentation be provided by students identifying as Indigenous Australians for the purpose of accessing dedicated resources and/or services (for example, the Pathway Program, Indigenous scholarships or Tutoring for Success Program).

For more information, visit WSU Confirmation of Identity Policy for Students and Staff or obtain a Community confirmation.

What kind of support is available while I am studying here at the University?

At Western Sydney University, we provide a range of support services to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students reach their academic and personal goals. Expert staff members are available to help and encourage students to explore, learn, grow and take risks to succeed. The services operate across the six campuses and range from disability, counselling and chaplaincy services to life skills workshops and online learning resources.

The Badanami Centre for Indigenous Education (Indigenous Support Centre), provides a range of services specifically to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students. The Centre has specialist support staff that will be able to assist or refer you to the appropriate areas of the University in regards to your study or personal needs.

For more information, visit the Student Support page.

Where is the Badanami Centre?

A Badanami Centre office is located on:

Bankstown Campus: Building 12 (Main Office)                                                                                                                                                             Liverpool: Level 3
Campbelltown Campus: Building 3
Hawkesbury Campus: Building K4 (Stable Square)
Parramatta Campus: Building EY
Penrith Campus: Building N

What is at each Badanami Centre office?

The Badanami Centre provides programs, services and facilities to encourage and support the involvement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in all aspects of tertiary education. A Student Success Officer sits at each of the centres ensuring our students have the assistance they need whilst undergoing their University degree. At each centre a computer lab is accesible allowing you to study flexibly at any given time and  printing is provided. Students are encouraged to access the Badanami Centre to feel a sense of familiarity and belonging to such a large and busy institution.

The Centre provides tutorial assistance, access to computers, study space, an orientation program at the beginning of the year and assistance in study and learning skills. The Centre also has kitchen and printing facilities.

For more information, visit the Current Students page.

I am struggling with my studies, where can I find help?

The Badanami Centre can assist you with seeking advice about academic and personal life matters. In addition, the University has a number of areas to provide you with advice and guidance about your studies. There is a free and confidential Counselling Service for all students. Our team of Student Success Officers are situated at each campus providing an excellent service in supporting our students and ensuring they have the best possible university experience. Please reach out to the Badanami staff if you are in any need of a support service or generally would like to have a yarn.

Badanami  administer the Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme which is available to current undergraduate students who are keen to do well in their studies. Eligible students are entitled to receive up to 2 hours of one-to-one or group tutorial assistance per unit per week and may receive up to 5 hours of tutorial assistance leading into examinations.

For more information, visit the Student Support page.

I dropped out several years ago, can I come back to university and can I get any credit for the subjects I have already done?

Yes, you can come to back to study. Academic credit for previous study is not automatically granted; therefore you will need to apply to have your learning assessed. You should enquire with the Badanami Centre or Head of Program for your course before you submit your application.

Contact Badanami for further advice about Academic Credit or Advanced Standing.

I would like to learn more about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and history. Does the University offer an Aboriginal studies course or subject?

The University has a number of units to choose from when wishing to learn more about the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and history and has introduced the innovative Indigenous Australian Studies (IAS) major, sub-major or units. IAS addresses the cultural, historical, social and economic issues affecting Indigenous and Non-Indigenous Australians and relationships.