Australian Cultural Fields
The project uses a multi-method approach to collect and analyse archival, statistical, survey and interview data. It includes:
- Archival research within relevant government, industry, arts and cultural policy agencies.
- Statistical analysis drawing on government and industry resources relating to cultural production and distribution, and changing demographic patterns of cultural consumption.
- A national survey of cultural participation, taste and knowledge.
- Interviews with a selection of survey respondents and their partners, and with political and cultural elites.
- Interviews with key government, cultural industry and agency personnel.
This multi-method approach bridges humanities and social science research cultures, enhancing the relevance of the project's findings for the development of future research agendas in Australia and internationally.
Australian Cultural Fields goes public
ABC digital interactive article on class and cultural tastes
Fair play: Australia needs to make sport a more equal playing field
'For the Love (or Not) of Art': Survey finds barriers inhibiting participation in the Australian art world