- Vice-Chancellor's Advisory Board
- Vice-Chancellor and President
Board of Trustees
- - Board of Trustees Membership
- Board Meetings
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2023
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2022
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2021
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2020
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2019
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2018
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2017
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2016
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2015
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2014
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2013
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2012
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2011
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2010
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2009
- - Board Meetings 2008
- - Board Meetings 2007
- - Board Meetings 2006
- - Board Meetings 2005
- - Board Meetings 2004
- - Board Committees
- - Key Information
- Academic Senate
- Office of Governance Services
- Western Sydney University Strategic Plan
- Professoriate Leadership Group
- Contact Us
- Corpus Strategic Funding Areas
9 April 2014
The Board of Trustees met on 9 April 2014 in the Board of Trustees Room, Building EZ, Parramatta Campus. A summary of matters discussed in the open session of the Board meeting is provided below.
Confirmation of Minutes
The minutes of the 26 February 2014 meeting (PDF, 238.33 KB) of the Board of Trustees were confirmed and can be downloaded from this page.
Main items considered by the Board
- Chancellor’s Report
- Vice-Chancellor’s Report
- Parramatta CBD
- Audited Financial Statement for the Year Ended 31 December 2013
- Annual Report and Board Report
- UWS Relationship with Regional Sporting Bodies
The Chancellor welcomed new board member Elizabeth Dibbs to her first Board meeting. The Chancellor reported on the media campaign Fair Go for the West being conducted by the Daily Telegraph, aimed at boosting the region’s services, facilities and economic viability, and the role that UWS has played as a key supporter of the campaign. Additional engagement opportunities for the University may include the annual Zest Awards, which recognise achievements of community sector groups and individuals in Western Sydney.
The Vice-Chancellor reported on significant Federal Government activities that may impact upon the HE sector, including the “Review of the Demand Driven System” and the “Commission of Audit”. Student load figures indicate that Summer session is proving popular and will be expanded to include more unit offerings in 2014/15.
The Vice-Chancellor reported on his recent trip to China and Vietnam, where he met with university presidents, government agencies and industry partners in the area of complementary medicine.
The Board discussed the importance of securing a longer-term and substantial presence for UWS in the Parramatta CBD and the associated development options. Several development sites are being considered, with proximity to transport hubs a key criterion. The Board approved the proposal in-principle for final consideration and approval at the June meeting.
Representatives from the NSW Audit Office attended the meeting for the consideration of the 2013 Audited Financial Statement. The University agreed to adopt the accounting treatment of the student residences transaction as recommended by the Audit Office, resulting in a write-down of $34m in assets.
The Audit Office representatives thanked the CFO team for their professionalism and commended the University on consistently delivering high quality accounts.
The Board authorised the Chancellor to sign the Annual Report statement, providing assurances on compliance with a range of State and Federal accountabilities.
The Director of Marketing and Communications presented on the range of engagement and marketing activities that the University is nurturing with western Sydney sporting codes and clubs, with particular emphasis on the University’s relationship with the Western Sydney Wanderers and GWS Giants
Other reports and items considered by the Board
- Our Future Action Program – Status Report
- 100 Academics Recruitment Campaign Update
- Pathways to Success
- Reports from Committees and Advisory Council of the Board
- Staffing Matters
The Board’s next meeting will be its strategy day to be held on Tuesday 3 June 2014, followed by the Board meeting on Wednesday 4 June 2014.