- Vice-Chancellor's Advisory Board
- Vice-Chancellor and President
Board of Trustees
- - Board of Trustees Membership
- Board Meetings
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2023
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2022
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2021
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2020
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2019
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2018
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2017
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2016
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2015
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2014
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2013
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2012
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2011
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2010
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2009
- - Board Meetings 2008
- - Board Meetings 2007
- - Board Meetings 2006
- - Board Meetings 2005
- - Board Meetings 2004
- - Board Committees
- - Key Information
- Academic Senate
- Office of Governance Services
- Western Sydney University Strategic Plan
- Professoriate Leadership Group
- Contact Us
- Corpus Strategic Funding Areas
26 February 2014
The Board of Trustees met on 26 February 2014 in the Board of Trustees Room, Building EZ, Parramatta Campus. A summary of matters discussed in the open session of the Board meeting is provided below.
Confirmation of Minutes
The minutes of the 4 December 2013 meeting (PDF, 197.54 KB) (opens in a new window) of the Board of Trustees were confirmed and can be now be downloaded from this page.
Main Items Considered by the Board
- Chancellor's Report
- Vice-Chancellor's Report
- UWS Directions 2020
- Revised Executive Structure
- Graduate Destinations Survey
- Red Tape Taskforce
The Chancellor welcomed the new Board members Jenny Purcell (General Staff member) and Paul Newman (ministerial appointment). The Chancellor also welcomed the new Vice-Chancellor, Professor Barney Glover to his first Board meeting at UWS. 2014 will be a busy year for the Board with some major strategic issues to be considered throughout the year. Minister Pyne recently attended the opening of the UWSCollege facilities at the Bankstown campus and he continues to be very supportive of UWS and its mission.
In the short time since commencing with the University in January, the Vice-Chancellor has met with many staff from Schools and Divisions to introduce himself and to share his vision of UWS into the future. The Vice-Chancellor met students who were attending a two-day leadership program organised through the UWS Academy, and discussed his desire for more opportunities for international placements during UWS undergraduate programmes; a concept which was well received by the students. At a recent meeting of Universities Australia Vice-Chancellors major national issues were discussed, including university funding and student debt, proposed changes to the funding of research and a review of teacher training entry standards chaired by Professor Greg Craven (Vice-Chancellor ACU).
UWS Directions 2020
The Vice-Chancellor outlined the major strategies for UWS to 2020 to sharpen the Making the Difference strategy in key areas. A main area of focus will be strategies to make UWS an internationally recognised institution. Part of this will involve the boosting of inbound and outward bound student numbers and increasing opportunities for international partnerships and collaboration. The Board also discussed significant business developments in Western Sydney and opportunities for UWS to become the research voice of Western Sydney.
Revised Executive Structure
The Board agreed with the recommendation to establish the position of Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) and the immediate commencement of a recruitment process. Recruitment to the position of the newly established position of the Pro Vice-Chancellor (International) will also be initiated as a matter of priority.
Graduate Destinations Survey
The Board noted this report and agreed that more detailed analysis and reporting would be useful in understanding graduate outcomes.
Red Tape Taskforce
The Board discussed the work of the Red Tape Taskforce that was established primarily to provide advice on how to reduce and refine the administrative workload of academic staff. An implementation report will be submitted to the Board in June 2014.
Other Reports and Items Considered by the Board
- Our Future Action Program – Status Report
- Compliance with Voluntary Code of Best Practice
- Bridges to Higher Education
- UWS Community and Regional Engagement Masterplan
- Reports from Committees and Advisory Council of the Board
- Staffing Matters
The Board's next meeting will be held on Wednesday 9 April 2014.